Thank you to all who participated in the 2016 survey! The link to pre-order the report will be coming soon.
About the C+B
The Compensation and Benefits Survey began in 1990 with the purpose of gathering information on current and local nonprofit compensation and benefits practices and trends.
Participants say that the C+B is a reliable tool for ED’s, CFO’s, human resources staff, and finance committees which helps determine and assure competitive salaries and benefit packages, as well as staying abreast of current trends in southern CA. This is critical for two reasons:
- IRS Compliance. The Internal Revenue Service requires that nonprofit executive’s pay be reasonable. While reasonable isn’t defined, it is determined by factors such as: job description, education and experience, average compensation in your area, hours worked, and organization budget. The C+B covers these factors, making it a critical tool in staying compliant.
- Employee Acquisition and Retention. Having a great staff is imperative to achieving your mission. Getting and keeping that staff is a matter of offering them the right salary and benefits package. The C+B is the only Southern California-specific nonprofit salary data out there, making it the best tool to build the best team.
Salary and Benefits Resources
- When Push Comes to Shove CNM blog
- 5 Things We Learned from the Nonprofit Employment Practices Survey CNM blog
- 5 Things That Nonprofits Need to Do to Change the Overhead Conversation CNM blog
- The Value of Strong Compensation Management Nonprofit HR
- How Much to Pay the Executive Director? Blue Avocado
- What You Need to Know about Nonprofit Executive Compensation Guidestar
- Nonprofit Salaries: What Should I Earn? CommonGood Careers
- All right, we need to talk about nonprofit salaries Nonprofit With Balls
- When you don’t disclose salary range on a job posting, a unicorn loses its wings Nonprofit With Balls
- Nonprofit Overhead Project CalNonprofits